When you pull up your fitness app to plan your meals for the week, do you ever wonder where that content comes from? When you hear of advances in dietary research do you ever ponder what content is being used for this research?
1WorldSync, the leading provider of product content solutions, continues its partnership with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the International Life Sciences Institute North America (ILSI NorthAmerica), GS1 US®, Label Insight, and the University of Maryland to help bring trusted product content directly from the brand owners to these important initiatives via the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN).
What is the USDA Global Branded Food Products Database?
The USDA Global Branded Food Products Database enhances the existing USDA FoodData Central, which serves as a main source of food composition data for governments, the public health research community, and the food and beverage industry. It also provides public access to nutrient composition and ingredient information on branded foods and store-brand data provided voluntarily by the industry.
Dr. Pamela Starke-Reed from the USDA-ARS commented, “The USDA-ARS looks forward to continuing our partnership with 1WorldSync and leveraging the Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) to help aggregate trusted branded food item content. Tapping into such a large network, such as 1WorldSync, has an immense opportunity for the USDA Global Branded Food Products Database. Thanks to everyone who has participated or will participate in this very critical initiative for public health.”
Why should a food manufacturer or brand owner participate?
The USDA has held the responsibility for determining the nutritional composition of food for 100 years. In order to do this effectively and efficiently, robust product content is needed. The best source of authentic and complete product content is the brand owner or food manufacturer. It is in the best interest of brand owner to supply the product content to USDA to avoid any misrepresentation of their product or its content.
What benefits are involved in sending GDSN content to the USDA?
- Automates product content sharing in real time via a secured platform that is trusted by thousands of companies
- Eliminates manual processes and reduces errors
- Provides foundation for standard validations for accuracy
Payal Patel, Director of Community Engagement at 1WorldSync, commented “There is a tremendous amount of data owned by brand owners as they manufacture the products. When shared with USDA database, it can significantly improve the health and quality of life for millions of people. 1WorldSync is honored to be part of this good cause enabling brand owners to share and the USDA to receive the nutritional data directly by the brand owners via our Global Data Synchronization Network solution.”
What benefits does 1WorldSync offer for USDA Suppliers?
- A USDA playlist has been created to ensure USDA requirements are easily accessible for 1WorldSync suppliers
- As an added feature to the playlist, validations are still performed despite the playlist not being added to an item record for ease of use for all supplier types
- Food and beverage items have been added into 1WorldSync’s Content Readiness and will appear in brand owner’s Item Management dashboard for easy review upon logging in
Ready to Participate?
- Review the USDA Product Content Requirements
- Send all Food and Beverage items content to the USDA’s Production GLN 0861583000302
Learn more about the Public-Private Partnership
- U.S. Department of Agriculture – also known as the Agriculture Department, is the U.S. federal executive department responsible for developing and executing federal laws related to farming, forestry, and food.
- 1WorldSync – the leading provider of product content solutions, enabling more than 13,000 companies globally to share brand-verified product content.
- ILSI: International Life Sciences Institute · North America – is a non-profit scientific organization that advances food safety and nutrition science for the benefit of public health.
- GS1 US – is an information standards organization that brings industry communities together to solve supply chain problems through the adoption and implementation of GS1 Standards. GS1 Standards are the most widely used supply chain standards system in the world.
- University of Maryland – aside from having a well renowned agricultural program, the University of Maryland has entered the partnership as the primary item content aggregator and organizer for incoming product content for the Global Branded Food Products Database.
To learn more about this very important initiative, please visit the 1WorldSync customer landing page for the USDA by clicking HERE.
For further questions please reach out to us via email@example.com.